Friday, September 12, 2008

Taking it back, like Randall...



Ok - so it's been awhile since I posted anything real. Well, a lot has happened lately. I assume if you're reading this at all, then you know what I'm talking about, If you don't then... oh well, try to keep up.

I am currently in the Philippines. Cebu to be exact. I came to see my Aunt who was sick. I'm glad I came. She slipped into a coma while I was en route; somewhere while I was between LAX and Hong Kong International Airport, I believe. By the time I got to Cebu, she was already moved to her bed at home so her family could watch over her. I got to see her briefly the night I landed in Cebu. It was hard to see her like that. I'm not sure why the reality of someone in a coma is so vastly different than it was in my head, but it was strikingly so.

The next day I tooled around with family. Running errands with my cousins. Eating huge meals with extended family. Everything was on the up and up. On Wednesday, we went to the house for mass. Father Sonny had flown in from Manilla especially for Auntie Don Don. Part way through the reading, my Aunt passed away. It was 9:50. I'm not sure I've ever felt more sad in my life, watching as my cousins and Uncle Peter lost their mom and wife right in front of me. Later, Father Sonny was reminiscing about something my Aunt had told him a while back. She said "when I go, I hope it can be in the middle of a service." So there's that...

I leave the Philippines on Monday. I'm going to Japan. Tokyo to be exact. I'm looking forward to a couple days of serious alone time. I don't speak the language and don't know anyone there, so hopefully I can find myself.

No comments: